Friday, February 6, 2009

Selfish motives

I use to like the book Philippians. Well, that was until the Holy Spirit really began to get at me through the verses it contains.

If someone were to ask me, "ErinStacy, do you think you are selfish?", I would say a little bit, but not too much. Well, as I learned today, a little bit is just a little bit too much.

Philippians 2:3
Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit; but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves.

There is was...do nothing from selfishness....

Self-examination. Do I do things that are selfishly motivated. Yes, all the time. I really feel the Spirit moving in me to put the concerns and desires of others above me. Look out for the personal interests of others, not just myself.

What does that look like for me? Well, when I see that Mom needs to have her bed made, or Dad needs to have someone take the trash out, doing these things before I even have to be asked. Or, when I am asked, even if it is an "inconvenience" for me, doing it with a good attitude with the realization that 1 minute out of my day really is not a sacrifice.

I'm trying to focus on this each day.

No comments: